For the general membership meeting held on the above date
Wednesday Evening, 6/11/03
At the following location:
Atop the RC hill on the Willowbrook Ranch property in Santa Barbara
Opened meeting about: 7:20
Welcome, Guest & New Members
||P4 Pilot from Telluride. Has been flying since
97'. Living in SB for a couple of years, enjoying the surfing, but is
recently getting back into the sport. Works a a chef. Did all
the cooking for the supurb dinner provided by Eagle Paragliding.
||(Striker) Friend of Chris Holmes visiting from
Telluride. Non pilot.
||Caretaker at the Ranch
||Our ranch host. Family member (grandson of
||Local HG speed gliding champion, aerobatic pilot, and
frequent ranch visitor
||Terry Taggart's partner and 4th grade teacher
||Neighbor of Terry and Kathleen
| Late Arrivals
||Criss Back from France
Minutes Ratified from last meeting held on: 4/8/03
- Our president Tom Pipkin asked if anyone had read the minutes
(that had been posted for a couple of months), and the only affirmative response was the
secretary. A motion was made to ratify them despite the lack of reading,
and it passed unanimously.
- Chris reported $1015.78 at the close of business yesterday
- The Beach Landing Zone
- Rob Sporrer brought us up to date with the current status of the Beach
Landing Zone and the problems with the Estate Caretaker. Rob indicated
that the SBSA would likely recommend that the site be restricted to H4 & P4
pilots to reduce the possibility of additional mishaps during the first year
- The SBSA has scheduled a meeting for 7 pm on Thursday 7/10 at Rusty's
Pizza to discuss The East Beach Guidelines.
- There was some discussion about trying to represent the PG interest
separately from the HG interest because the PG activity is less hazardous.
Other discussion participants stated that it was unlikely the city would
make a distinction between PG & HG. It was also mentioned that the
current Sail Boarding activity has exploded and would likely draw the city's
attention by the time our 1 year trial period was up for renewal, and the
city may try to include them in any ordinance rewrite.
- Someone inquired and an update was give on the status of Tim, the HG
pilot that crashed into parked cars on Cabrillo Blvd.
- Bruce Wallace Memorial
- Our committee chair person present the current design proposal for the
memorial. It is presently intended to be engraved on a Bronze Plaque
and attached to a rock. The committee favored Chief Peak location, and
was looking for feedback on the artwork, location, and size.
- Response the artwork was favorable
- Discussion seemed to indicate that the group presently preferred a
Chiefs Launch location over a Chiefs Peak location. The president
called for a vote, but the Secretary indicated that it may be more
appropriate to permit a discussion period as prescribed by our bylaws.
- The committee will submit a report for the record and look at the
discussion postings before deciding which options to pursue.
New Business & Announcements
- Solstice Party
- Bob Hurlbett was checking to see if everyone got invitations to his annual
Solstice Parade Party
- Christmas Party
- It was agreed to use last year's location
- Ron Faoro agreed to be the point contact for organization
- Ron will select a date 2 to 3 weeks before Christmas
7 PM, Wednesday, 8/13/03
Atop the Training Hill
Summary & Close about 7:55
- Kevin for letting us use his ranch
- Chris for preparing dinner which included the shopping and professional
- Rob Sporrer and Eagle Paragliding for organizing and paying for the party,
beer, and food
- Rob went back up in the morning to clean up
- The first visible sunset in weeks.
- The stragglers hung on till 11 pm swapping war stories.